2017 has been a really interesting year for me in our lovely Drupal community. I think I have learned (or realised that I have yet to fully learn) a few lessons that have helped me along the way.
I want to just list them for the time being and then come back to each one over a few weeks to go into detail about what they mean to me.
So, this year (or maybe the last couple of years) I realised:
- Don’t wait for permission;
- People > things;
- Diversity is an enabler;
- You get back more than you put in;
- People are interested in what you have to say;
- Think about what will make the greatest impact;
- Accept that, sometimes, you might fail;
- Take time to reflect;
- Small, enabled groups with good focus make can make amazing things;
- Always, always, always challenge yourself. Be uncomfortable.
The thing is, I believe they apply equally to us all. We can all make +ve change and help grow ourselves and our Drupal community. We all have something worth hearing, let’s hear it.